Monday, January 03, 2005

Military Drug Hypocracy

As a retired member of the armed forces, I have firsthand knowledge that the US military is the greatest force that has ever been on the face of the earth. However when they do crap like this, it makes me cringe.

It seems the military wants to stop drug problems before they start with the forces in Afghanistan and Iraq by increasing drug testing.

The problem I have with this is twofold. First, I have to ask...what will happen if a person comes up positive for an illegal drug? Will they be sent home?

Next I have to wonder how many soldiers who have told their commanders they are gay (no matter whether they are or not) are continuing to serve in combat zones? How many amputees have been returned to the fighting? If you can lose a limb and still go back, I don't see what the incentive is to be a member of the armed forces in Iraq and remain drug-free. I have to point out the hypocracy of the military, especially the Air Force (my former branch). The military has no problem giving it's members performance enhancing drugs when the military would benefit.

No comments: